You all know that I am a big fan of Martin Berkhan and the LeanGains approach. I have written a summary of the Intermittent Fasting lifestyle here.
Today I came across a really interesting read from reddit. A user named 31minutes described in detail his experience working with Martin along with his Reverse Pyramid Training program and diet plan. Below is a summary of his comments as prepared by user Xbudd. You can download this as a PDF here.
Material from /r/leangains “Former Berkhan Client. AMA”
Compiled by XBudd for /r/leangains
Counting Leangains Calories/Macros
- Don’t think in terms of percentages; think in terms of weekly deficits.
- I eat at maintenance on 3 workout days and want my weekly caloric intake to be ~4000 calories under maintenance.
- A pound of fat on me (I’m 200lb) and a pound of fat on someone who’s will take the same weekly caloric deficit to lose.
- I’m around -35% to -40% on rest days, 0 on workout days. But that only matters because that is what I need to get to my weekly 4,000 cal deficit.
- Take an hour to make my two diet days then use calorieking.com.
- Use the foods you love and make them fit your macros.
- After that, it’s just a matter of eating exactly the same thing each day.
- You won’t mind, because every meal is made up of your favorite foods.
- In response to current thoughts on macros: More protein on both days. Bottom threshold for fats should be higher on workout days, lower on rest days.
- These are the ones I started with and essentially the same as what
Martin recommends to his Leangains clients:
- Workout Day: 2756 Calories (Maintenance). 313g Protein. 274g Carb. 45g Fat.
- Rest Day: 1768 Calories. 259g Protein. 88g Carb. 74g Fat.
- That is for somebody at .
- To figure out your macros, adjust based on your weight. For example, you weigh and want to cut? Multiply my macros by 0.9 to fit your weight.
- This will NOT differ significantly based on your daily activity level
- Stressing about the perfect amount of calories is overrated. You start at a good estimate. This gives you that. From there, you adjust your intake based on your weekly progress.
- The adjustment is key
Creating a Meal Plan
- Create a Rest Day and Workout Day plan and use same plan always!
- 7 sticks lean pepperoni (840 cal, 98 pro, 21 carb, 56 fat)
- 700g egg whites (364 cal, 76 pro, 5 carb, 1 fat)
- 1 can tuna (90 cal, 20 pro, 0 carb, 1 fat)
- 10 liver tabs (80 cal, 20 pro, 0 carb, 0 fat)
- 680g soy milk (160 cal, 16 pro, 8 carb, 8 fat)
- 40g hershey cocoa (80 cal, 8 pro, 24 carb, 4 fat)
- 900g zucchini (154 cal, 11 pro, 30 carb, 3 fat)
- TOTAL: 1768 Cal, 249 Pro, 88 Carb, 74 Fat
- Note: The total for grams of carbs for rest day excluding insoluble fiber is somewhere around 30g. The number of carbs reported above (88g) factors in consumed insoluble fiber
- 1,890g soy milk (450 cal, 45 pro, 23 carb, 23 fat)
- 1 box kashi golean (980 cal, 91 pro, 140 carb, 7 fat)
- 1,500g greek yogurt (857 cal, 154 pro, 51 carb, 0 fat)
- 600g blueberries (290 cal, 3 pro, 60 carb, 4 fat)
- 10x liver tabs (80 cal, 20 pro, 0 carb, 0 fat)
- 11g coconut oil (99 cal, 0 pro, 0 carb, 11 fat)
- TOTAL: 2756 Cal, 313 Pro, 274 Carb (not counting fiber
- this time), 45 Fat
Diet for Bulk
- Use the exact same foods and exact same ratio of macros.
- Rest day was 100 calories over maintenance (~2856 cals).
- Workout day was 450 cal over maintenance (~3206 cal).
- That gave me a weekly surplus of 1750 cals. About 0.5 pounds gained per week.
What To Do After A Cut
- Look at your weight loss average over the last three weeks.
- That gives a baseline for what your running deficit is.
- For example, if you lost 0.8lb in week 14, 0.7lb in week 15, and 0.5
- in week 16, your total weight loss over 3 weeks = 2lb.
- One pound of fat is ~3500 calories. You lost two pounds over three weeks, so your deficit was 7000 calories spread over 21 days.
- That means your daily deficit averaged 333 calories.3
- Now, you know that you can add a total of 2333 calories (333cals*7days) to your week to switch to maintenance and keep your weight stable.
- Martin’s recommendation: “Think about the days you are more hungry and distribute calories appropriately.” stick to the same macro composition as before, but give yourself a 5% leeway to make adding foods easier. “5% leeway in the percentage intake, NOT the calories! For example, if your diet was 45% protein on your training days before, make sure it’s within 40-50% now that you’re maintaining.
- No food experiments, no changing the types of food you ate for two weeks. Martin: “Ideally, you should eat the exact same foods you ate during your fat loss phase, just more of them.”
I will transcribe more of this in the future, I thought it was an insightful look into the results a real client had and how he made progress on his cut.
Of course, I respect Martin and what he does so as always if you like something… Support it. Find out more about leangains at www.leangains.com
So today I started getting serious about my Muay Thai training again. I feel Unstoppable! The Swedes have some very good fighters here in Stockholm. Most of you will know Alexander Gustafsson from the UFC. However, I have never walked into a casual sparring gym and seen so many decent fighters. It makes me want to compete …
Ahh.. The Half Kilo weight set, things are different in Korea. Confession Time… For the past two weeks, I have been eating terrible and skipping workouts. I am writing this post not only because I feel a bit guilty, but also because I know that life happens. Finding a routine while traveling is difficult, but …
Hail! It has been a bit slow on Viking Muscle for the last few weeks, but for good reason… Viking Muscle has moved to Sweden! Over the last few weeks I have been running around frantically trying to finalize a long term work contract, get a work visa, and sell everything I own before moving …
Everyone likes high carb pasta… but when does’t fit your macros, try this healthy Paleo Zucchini Spaghetti alternative instead. Yields 2 Entrées Ingredients: 1 ½ lbs ground meat (chicken or turkey are preferred) 2 1/8 cup water 1 zucchini 3 medium tomatoes 1/8 cup cilantro 1/2 onion 3 Tbsp Italian seasoning salt & pepper to taste Directions: …
Everyone has seen the movie The 300, an amazing and visually stunning movie. One of the things that made the movie so stunning was the amazing physique of the actors… These guys were SHREDDED! This workout was what their trainer had them doing at the end of each month in preparation for the film. Now, I know …
Winter Blues have you down? This High Protein Ceviche will hit the spot and warm you up. It’s easy, low on carbs and loaded with high quality protein. Yields: 4 Cups Ingredients: 3-4 Lemons 3-4 Limes 4 Scallops or 1/2 lb of white fish or shrimp 4 medium tomatoes 1 garlic clove 1/4 cup cilantro 1/2 onion …